Opps, it has been a while since my last post...that's probably because so much has been happening! Big life things. Oh ya know, like graduating and all the emotions (and tears) that go along with it. I'm moving on to bigger and better things and it is time, as much as I don't want it to be. On that note my year as a JV is a mere 2 months away. I'm hella excited and equally nervous. I know a challenging year lies ahead of me, but I am ready to embrace it.
JVC is founded on four core values. Spirituality. Community. Simple Living. Social Justice. I will live with other volunteers (all of which have different placement sites). I will be a Program Coordinator at Native American Health Center (www.nativehealth.org). My community and I are given a community budget for rent, food, etc, and $80 a month for ourselves. I strongly believe that Americans hide and are burdened by materialism, and living without that is going to be so liberating. It will better help me focus on my mission as a JV and my work within my community (for more info on the program check out www.jesuitvolunteers.org)
It took me a long time to discern that a year of volunteering was the right post-grad move for me. My mind has always been set towards the gear of med school med school med school, and quite frankly that was exhausting. I look at my JV year as more than volunteering because the program is so much more than that....but rather, a year to live in solidarity with the people that I wish to serve in the future. As I thought about postgrad plans, the question consistently popped in my head "How can I possibly serve the marginalized in my career if I don't understand them and live among them?". I am privileged. Beyond belief. It's a fact of my life (and I'm sure for most of my readers). Throughout the next year I look to bridge a gap of my understanding and to be immersed in the poor. I want to accompany the marginalized on their journey, as they accompany me on mine. In the words of Oscar Romero, I want to be "la voz de los sin voz", the voice of those without a voice.
Well whether you saw this coming or not....JVC (and myself) needs your help. JVC saves non-profits and school millions of dollars every year through the work of their volunteers. Your donation can go a long way, whether it is $10 or your life-savings. I am extremely grateful for whatever you may be able to offer. Your money. Your prayers. Your support.
If you are interesting in donating please follow these steps! :)
1. Go to https://atl.etapestry.com/fundraiser/JesuitVolunteerCorps/CelebrateLA/individual.do?participationRef=2315.0.94792775
2. Click Sponsor Me on the right side of the page under my goal.
3. Aly is forever grateful and sends lots of her love :)
Thank you all! Peaceee!
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
SO EXCITED I CAN NOW EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR YOU IN YET ANOTHER VENUE!!! And the title of this is perfect. I love you babe and am SO proud of you!
ReplyDeletexox
T
You amaze me. In case you were ever wondering. And well I miss you already.
ReplyDelete<3 B