It's all pretty surreal that I am sitting here, writing one last blog entry before my time as a JV is over and I get my "F" (Former Jesuit Volunteer). I struggle with how I can encapsulate my experience in words and how I can possibily help you understand.
This year has been full of challenges, joys, tears, laughs, heart break, frustration...all a part of the grand adventure.
I was excited & happy to go to work everyday.
I climbed a mountain and hiked to waterfalls
I gave squirming middle-schoolers shots
I found community, at home, at work, at school, in Oakland.
I saw gang violence and its impact on a community
I talked teens through crisis
I felt so unbelievably unqualified and helpless
I laughed until I cried.
In ways I never expected, I encountered God each day.
I signed undocumented families up for insurance.
I gave puberty and sex talks more times than I can count.
I felt empowered
I walked with the students of east oakland
I saw their wisdom and felt their love.
I was humbled.
It's not I, it is WE
I found more questions, than answers.
I wiped tears and let my tears be wiped.
I led a Young Ladies Circle and Peer Health Educators group.
I took roadtrips and drank wine and made true friends.
I connected with students so different than me.
I was inspired by strong women and found my passion.
I became a part of East Oakland, beautiful and painful.
My work may not be remembered or carried on,
But I came her to work WITH and not for the people.
I was loved and completely known in the face of God, of friends, of strangers.
That is what I will carry.
It's been liberating, yet frustrating and humbling to learn that I am simply not the solution, nor will I ever be, but I can certainly be a part of it.
I have so many thank-yous and things to be grateful for.
I am grateful for my Casa T-Bow Community, their undying support and love and laughter. You've changed me and I'm so inspired by all that you do and who each of you are.
Thank you to my co-workers, who are the most passionate women that I have ever met. They are truly making dents in the health disparities and our community. Thank you for helping me find my passion and drive me into my future, and becoming my extended family.
To my students- I don't know where to begin. You are powerful beyond your wildest dreams. I'm so proud that each of you have found your voice and its strength in your own unique way. I'm so humbled by your motivation to succeed and your passion working for your school community. Thank you for the laughter, your wisdom, and your time and energy. So much love.
As JVC told me from the beginning, I am ruined for life.
peace.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment