Monday, January 24, 2011

the soul and its worth

I just finished reading Greg Boyle's "Tattoos on the Heart." about gang life in LA. It was inspiring, and I just want to share with you all the last two paragraphs of the book that particularly struck me.

"' But in this place of which you say is a waste, there will be heard again the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness...the voices of those who sing.'

and so the voices at the margins get heard and the circle of compassion widens. Souls feeling their worth, refusing to forget that we belong to each other. No bullet can pierce this. The vision still has its time, and yes, it presses on to fulfillment. It will not disappoint. And yet, if it delays, we can surely wait for it."

I hope that the souls of my students and our patients feel their worth. in our school. in oakland. in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment